View Single Post

Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,643 Times in 1,502 Posts

I have two 624's and both have been through and passed the recall. Both also have an "M" stamped under the crane adjacent to the serial and model number. This is how they have designated a "passed" recall in the past - really don't know if it is relevant now. I can't imagine that S&W would designate a passed recall gun with only a rubber stamp on the box - makes no sense as the box is too easily separated from the gun.

Nor does there seem to be any consensus as to why the guns were recalled to begin with. I have heard two versions. The first says that there were several batches of SS that weren't up to spec and may cause weakened cylinders. The second, which is attributed to Roy Jinks, is that some cylinders were mistakenly bored long and could chamber a .44 Mag cartridge. I don't think either by itself makes sense. However - if both of the above stories are true, then a recall makes sense.

A cylinder made of out of spec steel could probably withstand the relatively low pressures generated by the .44 Spl round (going by SAAMI specs). However, if one had a defective cylinder and it was bored to accept magnum cartridges, that is an accident waiting to happen.

That is pure speculation and really does not jive with what I understand the recall procedure is/was - which is simply magnafluxing the cylinder which would show up any cracks or voids, but really is no indication of the cylinders strength or composition.

Glad this necro-thread was resurrected, maybe more info will come out now that we are a couple years down the road.

What say you?

Adios,

Pizza Bob