View Single Post

Old 12-31-2013, 03:12 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 651 Times in 244 Posts
Default Another ILL. S.P. Model 39

When my Web crawler found the above the only thing known to this prospective buyer was that the offered was a S&W Model 39 and, for that matter, wasn't even sure the handgun was still available (I've learned a lot of sellers, no matter individual or dealer, often don't clean up once-offered listed items subsequently sold).

As I scanned the listing's single photograph it was framed large enough to show the gun's two magazines and had enough remaining room for a semi rig's tractor, and perhaps even the reefer, too.

In short, the picture was hardly good enough in detail to confirm it was a 39. For all I knew, it could've been a pre-39 or a 439.

Halfheartedly reading the description it told me nothing I didn't already know: Taken straight from some book were the technical descriptions; nothing else . . . except . . .

A couple of lines below the description were the following "Stamped IL state police (ILSP) and engraved with 'weapon' number" (SIC).

Nothing else. Didn't even have a period (.).

Simultaneously dropping jaw to table and attempting not to fall from chair, my hand and mouse found the "Buy" button.

For three days absolutely nothing. Nothing. The web page's "Sold" sign solely guarding the page was the only thing indicating that anyone at all was at least attempting to buy a weapon whose picture was just about worthless.

Finally, word came through. It was mine if I still wanted it, but only if I was really sure I wanted it because nobody else wanted it. It was rough looking, and it had that "Illinois State Police" stamping on it.

"Are you sure?" the email asked plaintively.

You betcha I wanted it. The FFL flew via email, the money order sent via overnight and I waited, not really knowing if some idiot had taken a stamping kit and put the info on the gun, or even if the gun was a Model 39.

It wasn't and it was, if the reader catches my drift.

I've got a S&W Double Action Automatic Pistol ("pre-39") and this ISP means more to me.

I am flat-out honored to own it.

Period.

The Following 14 Users Like Post: