View Single Post

Old 12-31-2013, 11:28 PM

Liked 845 Times in 405 Posts

Update? How's it holding up?

I had a Rossi .22 pump action in stainless I really liked. It rusted on me though, sitting in the safe (I know, bad owner! bad owner!) I hadn't had it out in a while… Keep it wiped down.

When I'm ready for a .44mag rifle, this looks like the one to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeguy View Post
After picking up my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum revolver, I had to find a .44 Magnum rifle to go with it. Looked at the new Winchester 1892's, pricey at $1000 or so, older Winchester 94's (don't like the action of a 94 in pistol calibers) Browning B92's, again a little pricey.

Saw this stainless steel Rossi carbine at the Richmond, Va. Gun Show last Saturday, 16" barrel, 4.8 pounds, lighter than a Ruger 10/22! Priced at $405, brand new...

Took it to the range yesterday, ran some rounds through it I had prepared for the Ruger Super Blackhawk. Shoots cast lead extremely well, shot a 50 yard five shot group (sand bag rest) with all rounds touching. Sights are well regulated too:

Some fog on the camera lens...

I think the Rossi M92's are a great value, good triggers, smooth action, wood is a little rough, but for a utility rifle, it looks good.

The load is a mild cast lead 240 grain bullet from a Lee mold, enough Trail Boss powder to get 850 feet per second from a revolver, should be going 1100 FPS or so from a rifle. Also ran some jacketed 240 grain loads that are a little hotter, 1250 FPS from a revolver, a little more recoil, but not bad.

I tell you, shooting single action revolvers and lever rifles makes me want to move to Wyoming and buy a horse! Great fun, especially experimenting with cast lead and finding sweet loads like this one.

With this rifle, my gun collection is complete. Every hand gun has a rifle companion, a rifle and handgun for any concievable use in North America. I shall eschew all gun shows, and only visit gun shops to buy powder, primers and other reloading components....

See you on the range!