Thread: 41mag vs 44mag
View Single Post

Old 01-01-2014, 09:22 PM

Liked 351 Times in 243 Posts

Bob,
I wish I'd bought a lot more than I did, and was a little more conservative with what I had. At the time they hit the market I was shooting several .41 magnums and a couple .41 AE conversions. The .41 mag. has great potential for the handloader and that is why it is my favorite all around caliber. Unfortunately the factory bullets available for it are it's biggest detriment due to the fact that they are all for 'Magnum' loads. Speer's 180's were made for the .41 AE, with maximum velocities running about 1100 fps., which made them an excellent choice for defense loads in the magnum, especially if a cannelure was added.

Take a look at the factory loads listed above. Although the number has grown quite a bit from when I first started shooting them, most of them are for hunting. There are only a few light bullets available, fewer for the handloader and few that I'd even be interested in. The .41 mag has a lot more potential than the factories realize, and that may be because so many handloaders don't realize it either. But then I still shoot .41 AEs once in a while and wish it would make a comeback too.

In the meantime, if you want a nice light bullet for a .41 anything, casting is the best route, which the more I learned about bullets is my first choice anyway.