View Single Post

Old 01-03-2014, 09:05 PM

Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Default What goes around probably comes around

My first center-fire revolver was a Model 66-1 with six-inch barrel, target trigger, hammer and grips. I ordered from a LGS 04/07/79 and received it 10/22/80. In those days law enforcement was purchasing 4 inch Model 66’s in volume. Delivery time for the new release will probably be similar.

Shot all bullet weights in 357 and one day it lost the timing. I sent it back to the factory for repair. It got a new non-recessed cylinder as one of the chambers was swelled. I believe some change/replacement of the forcing cone due to the cylinder dimensions. It cost one-half or better of the purchase price for the repair. It’s a nice gun and I guess I just enjoyed it too much.

Got a 686 and considered that a solution to the short comings of the Model 66. Got a second 686 and put a scope on it. I retired the Model 66 and haven’t shot it in 20 years.

When I think about another Model 66 it reminds me of the movie “The Outlaw Josey Wales”. Chief Dan George comments . . . “All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eating. It's just for looking through.”