Thread: Remington R-51
View Single Post

Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 PM

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I have always appreciated the styling of the PP and PPK. My only hesitation with them was the cartridge's lack of power. It's interesting that in the last few years the .380 has enjoyed a renewing of popularity. Perhaps we'll face bad guys who are easier to stop in today's 'kinder & gentler' society?

Anyhow, I like the looks of the R51. Now; I have spent my time crawling around in the weeds looking for 9mm brass. My interest is in the .40 S&W flavor. My only concern is over the persnickety nature of the .40 cart. It may have changed but at one time there was concern over the fact many pistols had an open area of their firing chamber and the unsupported portion of the .40 casing wall tended to bulge, indicating it could burst there. Perhaps a few did, causing injury to the shooters. Reloading was actually discouraged at one time because the "safe" power range was very restricted, with warnings about the possibility of a KaBoom at both ends of that range. This would not apply to the 9mm.

If the R51 opens the breech a tad bit in the early part of the firing cycle does that mean the whole base of the casing is unsupported while still under high pressure? That'd be my only reservation based on what I have seen up to this point. Since reading about people getting on the Wait List for 9mm models, I will check the local dealer about getting on a list for the .40 and see where we go from there.