View Single Post

Old 01-05-2014, 01:38 PM

Liked 665 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboy View Post
I can't say what's "best" but I can say that mine, a 686-6 6" is fantastic. I'm no bullseye shooter and with a lot of handguns my accuracy beyond 15 yards is pretty iffy. However, last week, I took my 686 to the range. At 25 yards, shooting offhand, double action, I put five in the 10 ring plus one in the nine, for a 2 1/2 inch group. I followed that up by putting 18 consecutive rounds within the 10 ring at 10 yards with the group at about 1 1/2". I do not believe that it is possible for me to improve on that degree of accuracy. So I say, again, my 686-6, with its MIM parts, and yes, its lock, is a simply fantastic handgun.
I totally agree. I am fairly new to S&W guns so maybe I lack the historical perspective of some. Also, I am not a collector, I am a shooter/hobbiest/prepper. But let me make the following points.

1. The lock. I could barely care less about the lock. I don't think that it does anything one way or the other. IMHO way too much ado is made about the lock. I never met anyone who had a failure due to the lock and I don't know anyone who has. There are a million other things more likely to go wrong with a revolver than a lock-based malfunction. Sure I would prefer not having the lock, but it is a trivial matter; no big deal.

2. MIM parts. This is a silly argument. MIM is the future of small parts. I never have experienced a failure of an MIM part and I don't know anyone who has.

3. The new Smiths are wonderful guns. Buy new and enjoy. Our family has a 686+ 6" and a 686+ 4" and these are wonderful, accurate, reliable, and fun revolvers. The triggers are great. Just as good as old ones that I have handled. As always, if you don't like the trigger, get a competent trigger job.

Since it does not exist without pictures, here is my fairly new (2013) S&W 686+ 4"