View Single Post

Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 PM

Liked 135 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster340 View Post
Glad your's cleaned up Jmmit0c6. Yep, had similar, but worse experience with a Mk4No1 I picked up back in the 80's. Filthy bore, seller said it was a "good shooter". It shot...but key hole every shot at 50 yrd. Found that the first 5-6 inches of the muzzle were ruined, i.e. extremely trashed to the tune of .324!.(Wish I knew the bullet in the muzzle test back then!). Anyway it sat in the corner for the last 30 years. While I am not one to hack up Milsurp weapons, I couldn't stand having a weapon that could not be used, shot or hunted with. So, I figured I'd try to make a shooter out of it. The throat and remaining rifling was is good shape. Trimmed the barrel back to good rifling approx. 18". Still putting the finishing touches on it and we'll see how it turns out. Thinking she'd make a handy piece to carry when hunting the dense, swampy wetlands on my property.

I have no idea how the 1st 5-6 inches of the muzzle could have gotten so F'd up?
Thanks, I almost exclusively buy used guns anymore. My interest in milsurp and older revolvers kind of make it difficult to buy new guns. The only new gun I own anymore is an RIA 1911 because I can't buy a used WW2 era 1911 on my grad student budget lol.

Sounds like an interesting project, be sure to post pictures when it is all finished.