View Single Post

Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM

Liked 4,269 Times in 1,042 Posts
Default New member with 58

Hi everyone. I've lurked here for a while, and now that I just purchased a Smith&Wesson model 58, I decided to join the forums and post in this thread.

I'm new to Smith & Wesson, but not to firearms. This model 58 is my first Smith & Wesson.

I was given the 'green light' from the Mrs. for a handgun purchase, so I decided I'd look around some local shops to see what was available.

I love revolvers. Nothing against autoloaders, but I love the old school feel of steal wheel guns. I have a Ruger SP101 in .357mag that I carry, and I wanted a Big Bore revolver with a '4' in the caliber.

I was very lucky and I found a Smith &Wesson model 58 (.41 magnum) in very good to excellent condition sitting in a local gun shop. It has the pinned barrel and recessed chambers, in blued finish. Lock up was tight (pretty much ZERO end shake as far as I could tell), good timing, and a super clean bore. It really doesn't look like it's seen many rounds at all. (the guy at the counter said an old retired patrolman sold it to them).

I'm very excited for this new purchase. I'm even going to carry this hand cannon in an OWB pancake holster that I ordered.

First range impressions: Holy Moly!! This is the most fun I've ever had shooting. I've shot all kinds of handguns before, but this Model 58 in 41 mag is just something unique in its own right.

Recoil was not sharp, but it was a very strong push. I definitely have to concentrate on each shot. Not so much wrist breaking muzzle rise, more of a strong push straight back (I do take a high grip). I'd say .41 mag is much closer (in recoil and noise) to .44 mag than it is to .357 mag.

This is the LOUDEST gun I've ever shot. The range was crowded, and after the first cylinder, two people immediately came over to my booth and asked what the heck is that! They thought it was .44, and They never even heard of .41 mag.

The model 58 performed flawlessly. No misfires, cases ejected perfectly. Primers all had deep dimples. The Smith trigger is a lot different from my Ruger SP101, whereas it doesn't stack as abruptly...it's more a smooth pull all the way to hammer drop.

Here's a photo of one of the targets: I'm no expert shooter, but I got some decent groups (and a few flyers as I learned more about the gun) at 10-12 yards. Used Remington 210 JSP

This is by far my favorite firearm, and I could not be happier to own this great piece of history that happens to also be a great personal defense tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg groups.jpg (153.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 41..jpg (131.2 KB, 68 views)
The Following 7 Users Like Post: