Thread: Diabetes-- Help
View Single Post

Old 01-10-2014, 06:03 PM

Liked 1,042 Times in 304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1500 View Post
I do not have diabetes, but I have lost tons of weight, feel better than I ever did, and saw EVERY SINGLE blood test marker improve dramatically by sticking to a low carb Atkins style plan. Fats, cholesterol, FBS, BP, A1C, etc. Every single one got substantially better.
Similar story here - just got fed up with how tired and out of shape I was about 2 years ago - started checking into low carb as I know some friends who swear by it. Bought a book "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, a cardiologist - it was a real eye opener. I cut out all grains, processed foods, added sugar and starches (including starchy vegetables like potatoes and beans.) Dropped about 60 lb in 1.5 years with little effort - the first 2-3 weeks were somewhat difficult because of the addictive nature of refined carbs, but after that it was easy - no hunger pangs, no cravings - some days I had to remind myself to eat something.

Best part is how much more energy I have - I can honestly say that I feel 10 years younger (I'm 66) - that alone is worth it all. Never thought I'd wear a 36 waist again!

It sounds difficult, but many people change their lifestyle like this - mainly because of the unbelievable positives it provides