Thread: Diabetes-- Help
View Single Post

Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 PM

Liked 9,285 Times in 3,714 Posts

Well, I'm just a test group of one, with good doctors, so take my words as advice, not gospel. I didn't know a darned thing when I started the trip. The first step is educating yourself to be a better consumer of medical information - lots of folks are not. If at all possible, try to get a referral to an endocrinologist whose practice is largely diabetes related. There are a lot of interactions that they will pick up on and about which they can educate you.

I think the 1X daily shot was Lantus - also thin and watery and no big deal. BTW, don't worry about dignity. I used to order meals and then go to the bathroom to inject when I was traveling with my wife; even on duty. No one ever gave a damn. A few picked up on the diabetic thing right away. Damage? I think it starts slowly, so you may not have a lot. If you do, you do. Take the other steps needed and drive on - at least it should not continue to get worse once you get a thumb on it. Once you learn about the subtle indicators you will start to perceive about when your BG is high, or low, and learn to test to confirm and then take steps, you will be amazed at how fast the progress will seem. I'd bet a lot that if you put in the effort to learn and act, the improved test results in 3 months will be amazing to you.

I have always been a bit of a glutton, and when younger could get away with it due to lifestyle. I would lose weight on a 3K calorie/day level. I got my Dad's sweet tooth and my mom's crummy pancreas, it seems. Rum Raisin ice cream at Wahl's (Pittsford, for the other folks from that part of NY)? By the truckload. Chinese buffet? URP. (I pretty much stay out of them now ... gotta know your weaknesses.) I still eat a lot more than most folks my age; some of the stuff and quantities I eat would probably make Dr. Bossypants (as I call her) launch into orbit. I gave up on other things, and take the trades I can. It's all about learning the basics and applying them to your body. I know your joints would not allow you to exercise the way I do, and I trained in the way I did for occupational reasons.

Last edited by Doug M.; 01-13-2014 at 12:15 PM.