Thread: Diabetes-- Help
View Single Post

Old 01-14-2014, 03:53 PM

Liked 17,296 Times in 6,647 Posts

In general I agree with you, but keep in mind that one of the things we want to do is burn off the fat on our bodies. While the fat on steak is tasty, it's not helping that goal. No need to be a fanatic about it, but some trimming is good.

Also, one of the things about protein is that it takes a lot of energy for the body to break it down and as such it doesn't produce a lot of energy. Again, this is where our body fat comes in to play.

A guy I know is a very serious biker. For a while he had a bike shirt that said "Powered by fat" on the back. He's not fat and that's because he bikes and does Nordic Skiing. Both use a ton of energy and if you have extra fat they will burn it off fast.

One thing I don't do is measure my BG on a daily basis. I discussed this with my doctor when he first made the diagnosis and we agreed. As someone else said, daily BG levels will vary and are of little value if you are orally controlled. The A1C is the important number and that's a trend over several months. When I was first diagnosed, I was tested every three months. At my last visit, the doctor told me that I only needed to be tested every six months.

What will work for BG control is different for everyone to some degree. Find what works for you and stick with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaGrunny View Post
Don't cut the fat off your steak; the body will use fat for energy more readily than it can use protein (still need the protein for other functions), and that helps keep your blood-glucose under control.

Dietary fat is not as bad for you as has long been believed, and has little to do with serum cholesterol or weight gain. Tons of recent science has been showing that low-fat diets are unhealthy, primarily because they make you hungry for carbs because you are running low on easily-convertable fuel.

Well worth your time if you want to get a deeper understanding of what is currently known about diet and its effects on metabolism:
Start Here « The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

& especially this article from that site:
How did we come to believe saturated fat and cholesterol are bad for us? « The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Last edited by GaryS; 01-14-2014 at 03:56 PM.