View Single Post

Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 PM

Liked 189 Times in 81 Posts

I had the L4-L5 disk rupture about 9 months ago. My regular Dr. gave me a course of Hydrocodone couples with Prednisone. That combination controlled the pain very effectively. Then he gave me a referral to a neurosurgeon and ordered an MRI for the neuro to look at. Before I could get all of that done the back acted up again and only the Hydrocodone/Prednisone could control the pain.

The PA at the neuro office showed me the MRI and explained what was going on. She said that FOR ME there were two things that could be done. The first was steroid injections into the L4-L5 area and the second was surgery to relieve the pressure on the spinal cord and the nerves caused by the disk rupture. Think about them and come back in a month unless you have problems.

There were no problems so when I went back in for the follow up one of my questions was: What is the difference two years later between having and not having the surgery? The answer was very little if any because the purpose OF THE SURGERY THEY WERE CONSIDERING FOR ME was only to relieve the immediate pain. Needless to say I chose to not have the surgery at least for now. She also said not to lift anything over 10 pounds with one arm, 20 pounds using both arms and don't do any twisting or bending. When I asked about physical therapy she said that it wasn't usually helpful in patients that had my problems.

Now, nine months later, I am still improving but it is very slow. I needed a cane for about 3 months but now get along without it. The back is stiff and it is difficult to bend over to pick up brass. I can carry the target frames out to the 100 yard line now but I will be the last one back every time.

Good luck with your back and I hope that you will be able to live with it in a relatively pain free state.