View Single Post

Old 01-17-2014, 12:31 AM

Liked 611 Times in 277 Posts

Been there, living it.

I've had two low back surgeries and countless rounds of various types of therapies as well. I even tried a therapy for people with Diabetes where they placed electrical pads on my legs and ran 400milliamps through me for 20 minutes per visit.

After my first surgery I was left with drop foot on my left side. Only noticeable enough to make people think I had twisted ankle. Years later I had to have a second surgery on same level. This time I was not very lucky. I have total foot drop now. I have maybe 30% usage of my left leg. The exterior of my left leg is numb and the last three toes on that foot are numb to the point it feels like they're asleep, but they never wake up. In 2012 I was walking (with a cane) and my leg gave out as I was taking a step, I feel straight to the ground and broke the Tibial Platue on my left knee. I know use a Rollator (walker with four wheels and seat to sit on) to get around. Using the Rollator I can go about 60 feet before my arms and legs get too tired and I have to sit.

I can't go anywhere by myself because I need someone to load the Rollator in the back of my SUV and get it out when we arrive at the destination. I have been deemed "Disabled" by the government so I receive SSDI benefits as my source of income.

Get a great surgeon and have the surgery as fast as possible, do not wait do not pass go, get to a surgeon tomorrow. The longer you wait the more likely you will suffer permanent damage and loss of function in that leg. Nerves which are being pinched by the herniated or bulging disc will die and you will lose function and muscle.

I wish everyday I had not suffered the injury and loss of function, strength and muscle mass (leg looks like a bone with skin). I used to use a cane to walk and I hated it, now I use a Rollator and wish I could use a cane. The next step is a wheelchair and I'm not wanting that at all.

I wish you the best and hope you recover as much as you can. PMs welcome if you have more questions.

David