View Single Post

Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 740 Times in 256 Posts

Question to me from SW357. I am 6' 5" and 280.

I want to thank you all for the comments. While I knew that back problems were common, I had no idea how many folks were fighting the same problem as I.

As a progress report today was the first time I could crawl out of bed on my own. Major accomplishment! I know I can't do the bed rest routine because everything tightens up like a rock real quick so I have to get up move around, stretch (PT exercises) and generally just try and do something. I will also add that I am trying not to use the pain drugs. The first 2 prescriptions did not do much of anything but the one I have now really will take the edge off it quick. Kind of scary so I decided to use it sparingly after talking to my Doc. I would rather have a bit of pain telling me I was stupid then feel nothing and really hurt myself.

To the questions about feeling, right now, I have little feeling in my left leg. It is just sort of there and dead weight. The doc called and we chatted about it and unfortunately it is normal for this type of problem.

Several of you have had the same L4/L5/S1 problems that I am having. She mentioned those names and I think I caught them, but honestly I went into geology so I would never have to deal with biology. It just goes right through the head. I know I really should be writing this all down and plan to start when I go to the next doc visit.

I would read that the general consensus is that a good neurologist/surgeon is the way to go. I have been checking up the doc my doc recommended and he seems to have a good reputation. Here in Houston there is a lot of competition so we tend to get some good ones catering to clients out here.

I am still on for my first visit to the doc next week late. I figure I should be able to walk more easily by then so it will be a question on how to proceed. My bet is we will go the injections in the disks like was mentioned above. That appears to be the normal first move with serious burst disks.

Thanks again and I will keep you all informed of the progress.