View Single Post

Old 01-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Liked 461 Times in 84 Posts

For a NIB 60-4 the $550/$600 mentioned above would seem to me an absolute steal.

I bot mine new 20+ yrs ago. I'd decided on a 631 4" .32mag but had some questions about whether or not this was the all-around trail/SD gun I was looking for (couldn't shoot my 36 snubby worth a darn). Called S&W, the gal sent me back to the custom shop where I spent a good 20/25 minutes talking to one of the guys. He gushed about this new full-lug 5-shot .38+P target they'd introduced, said "it's my favorite revolver"-- needless to say, I went w/ the 60-4.

When I got it, I took it out on the prairie and got the sights right (rear sight dropped all the way, perfect), found the cheapo RN lead 158 gr reloads I'd bot ran 3" to 4" at 50', just leaning across the hood of my pickup. Much better than my snubby, but not really thrilled. I had 5 rounds of 125 gr +P Fed Hi-Shoks w/ me, wasn't expecting any better. Leaned across, carefully let 'em fly. Wish I'd cut off the top of that fencepost-- a pingpong ball would've covered the group.

I found the extended depth of the grip awkward and annoying-- I cut it off just shy of the frame, there's an internal flange there that covers the underside. Fast forward, I currently have a set of Spegel RN Boots (identical) in the works.

Don't miss the .357 capability, as I wouldn't be shooting them anyway.

Last edited by ryxlyx; 01-18-2014 at 04:28 PM.