View Single Post

Old 01-18-2014, 04:47 PM

Liked 1,195 Times in 457 Posts

A number of years ago, I believe Gun Digest had a VERY interesting article by a gentleman who had a custom "J" frame made up with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights. I REALLY liked the concept. I was at the Indianapolis 500 Gun Show not long after that and a small number of Smith "J" frames with 3" barrel and adjustable sights in blue turned up. I didn't have enough money with me and figured that I would get one next trip. However, they were gone. In their place was the 60-4 (3" barrel and adjustable sights in .38 Special). .38 is what I wanted but I much prefer a 4" barrel. I somewhat reluctantly bought the 3" dbl underlugged barrel and all.

Boy, did I get a shock. My first target at 25 yards after sighting it in was a 96x100 on the timed fire target, standing. The guy next to me looked at me with his eyes bugged out, "What is that piece?" I told him that it was a little piece of "Magic". He was shooting a Model "K" and I had beat his score.

Well, after carrying it as a side gun to my bird gun and taking a number of rabbits, snowshoe rabbits, and wounded grouse with it, you'll not be buying this little baby from me. It doesn't go until they plant me. That dbl underlugged barrel is a bit barrel heavy and seems to hold as well as a four incher. It has a VERY nice trigger and, frankly, the execution is just about perfect for that "side gun". It works very well with Speer's Shot Capsules (a load of #12 shot will shred a snake's head at fifteen feet) so it makes a nice hiking gun in rough country, too.

In bear country, I will be packing my 624 or 629 in 4" but for most anything else you could hardly beat the 60-4:

FWIW
Dale53
The Following 6 Users Like Post: