Thread: Pistol cases
View Single Post

Old 02-07-2014, 12:33 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,176 Times in 605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboGunLeather View Post
I like to stick with large batches (500 to 1000) of the same brand and production lot, trim them all to minimums, chamfer the trimmed case mouths equally, resize them all at one sitting, then finish reloading that batch all at the same time. By starting out with everything as nearly identical as possible, and by doing all reloading processes on the same equipment with the same settings, I believe I'm getting better overall consistency (primer seating, bullet seating, crimping, etc).

For most handgun applications this is probably not critical. But I started off loading for competition, and consistency means a lot more when the difference between first and second place can be the width of the scoring lines.
I agree with this statement. I have been reloading and hand-loading for 40 years and shooting in competition for close to 50 years (including my youth for BSA, NRA Junior and PSU). I ALWAYS sort my brass by headstamp and use the same brand of primers, powder and bullets for competition. I prep all brass ONCE for pistol and it is forever good until it splits….usually after about 15 firings with pistol….less with nickel….less with Magnums, esp. if HOT. Why, ….simple….eliminate all or most of the the determinate error in an experiment and you can concentrate on why the loads do not group….usually the shooter. Once I establish a load, I seldom change, unless for good reason….ex. for my .32 wadcutter, bullseye was very accurate (1"@25yds) but smokey….VV310 was equally accurate with all other components ….but very clean….so I switched to VV310. However, I still use Bullseye in my .45 since nothing is as accurate…at least with my load.
It is easier NOT to have to reinvent the wheel…
Consistency…makes for repeatability and safety as well.

BTW…if you pick up range brass…only choose those that a shooter bought NEW.