View Single Post

Old 02-12-2014, 03:42 PM

Liked 372 Times in 188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerSan69 View Post
I'm certainly not trying to disparage a Forum member, but I don't see a thing about the BD grips that you can't do yourself if you're careful. I don't know what the S&W Delrin grips cost these days, but when I picked some up online a couple years ago for my 3913NL, they were around $20. I'm sure he's a craftsman, and the work I've seen is absolutely first-rate, but I can't get past $100 including the price of a factory set. For that money I'd want some super-fancy rare wood.
I tend to agree, but after doing something similar with CT laser grips I can tell you that there is more to it than meets the eye.

Besides just chopping off the bottom of the grip, there are two major problems to overcome. First, you have to find a way to support the mainspring since you chop that off when you shorten the bottom. Second, you have to drill a hole for the pin in exactly the right spot - miss just a bit and the grip slides around.

So to do a decent job, you almost have to build a jig of some sort - probably two of them. Then, you may screw up a set of grips - or two - getting everything adjusted. Sometimes you'll screw one up doing the modification, too - can't sell those.

Oh, and don't forget to finish the bottom and fill in the gaps around the frame of the gun.

Having had some experience doing the laser grips, I've looked at Big Dog's work - my CS9 came with them - and I don't think he's getting rich.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: