View Single Post

Old 02-19-2014, 03:53 AM
US Veteran

Liked 19,051 Times in 6,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAC1969 View Post
Greetings
Today I picked up a no dash model 10 with 2" barrel. Marked US on the back strap. Round butt with small p on the left front of frame. SN. c510109
Someone locally said this may have been a shipment for robins afb, Ga.
Bill
It seems likely that you have one of the 922 examples that were shipped to Warner Robins AFB in 1960. Your serial number is in the correct range - near the low end of the range, in fact. If it has the standard barrel it would be marked as a no-dash Model 10, and that would be what the AF ordered. And they did have the 2" barrel and round butt.
We know that guns in the small order of 2" and 4" Model 10-5 revolvers that was purchased by the military in 1967 had the markings you describe. But those would have much higher serial numbers. I think it is safe to assume the 1960 purchase would have been marked the same way, but I don't have a reference to prove it. A long time ago, there was an article in the Journal about the 1960 guns, but I don't have a copy. Perhaps someone else here does.
If I were you, I would request a letter on this gun, as advised above. Once you have it, please let us know what it says.
Regards,
Jack
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318
The Following User Likes This Post: