View Single Post

Old 02-26-2014, 01:45 AM

Liked 1,588 Times in 469 Posts
Default Do you train for hand-to-hand?

I guess that I would like to direct this question primarily to the older guys like me that routinely carry. I'll define "older" as over 55. Younger guys can feel free to chime in too especially if you have specific knowledge or experience in self defense training (you there Rastoff?)

Everything I've ever read says that you are much more likely to be involved in a close quarters physical altercation than a gun fight, which makes sense. It also makes sense that you can't just shoot unarmed assailants and not expect serious consequences. We are generally urged to train for this sort of combat if we undertake the responsibility of carrying a firearm. As I've aged a bit and developed typical aging changes (mild back issues, some shoulder issues, maybe heart, etc) I simply am unable to realistically train in Ju Jitsu, Krav Maga, or similar disciplines the way I maybe could have in the past. And I realize it will only get worse in the coming years. I can still effectively train with a firearm however. We all carry to defend ourselves and to be prepared, but my concern is I feel a nagging sense of being ill-prepared in this area. I stay in reasonably good shape and intend to continue to; maybe I could hold my own against some younger guys, but the effects of aging can't be stopped, and my fist-fighting days are dwindling fast! Obviously the biggest advantage of aging is wisdom and patience...ie being smart enough to avoid fist fights, but some unarmed attacks may not be avoidable.

So the question for some of you fellow mature guys is do you train for physical altercations, and if so how? Any recommendations? General thoughts on the subject?
Thanks in advance!
The Following 3 Users Like Post: