View Single Post

Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 AM

Liked 357 Times in 238 Posts

Oh I guess I should mention that 7.62x39 is a very finicky round in an AR. Much ado's post about feedramps reminded me. The round is bigger in diameter(obviously), but it lowers the centerline of the round, the point or tip I guess you'd call it. Anyway, with it being a larger round it also pushes it closer to the middle of the mag, thus when it gets pushed out of the mag into the feedramps it hits the feedramps at a different spot than a normal .223/5.56 would. It hits lower and closer to the center. So M4 feedramps are pretty much a must, and many people open up the feedramps a bit just to ensure reliability. Open them up towards the center. The other issue, I've been having and heard others have, is the mags. The 30's do look pretty goofy, but that's not the problem lol. What happens is with the case of the round being larger, the rim hits the rib of the mag on the inside. Kinda hard to explain through text. There's only metal GI-style mags designed for the x39 AR as of yet, and I don't think there'll ever be enough demand for anyone to go through the manufacturing process to make a poly one. So the metal mags have those ribs that run the length of them and at the very top the rim of the case hits that rib on it's way out. Polishing it up helps tremendously. You can run your normal .223 mags and only load 5 or so x39's in it with decent reliability, but any more than that and you'll get problems. The dedicated x39 mags go straight for a little bit at the top to go into the magwell so it's the same shape as your normal .223 mags for the first 4" or so. And the x39's use 5.56 followers, at least my ASC's do, so in theory the top 4" or so is identical, that's why you can run around 5 rounds with decent reliability out of either mag. Sorry for being so long-winded, I'm just pretty excited about my build and did a LOT of research on the x39 before I started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk