View Single Post

Old 02-26-2014, 07:49 PM

Liked 1,588 Times in 469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
I’m 48, I hold a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and I doubt very seriously I could go toe to toe with a reasonably fit twentysomething but whether or not I’m going to fight hand to hand may not be my choice, if someone jumps me I’m at least going to have to fight until I can get my gun out.

I try to keep myself fit and am currently looking into studying a soft style such as Aikido where I don’t have to worry about pulling off a double back flip reverse hurricane kick.
Thanks for all the replies and I wholeheartedly agree that avoidance is usually possible and always best, but my question, as Smoke points out, is what is my plan if not given the choice - ie jumped without warning...being able to at least fight long enough to get my gun out is my concern. I'm still a relatively fit 49 but I have no illusions of being able to go toe-to-toe with a determined 20-something. And the bigger point is I have NO DESIRE to do so...fighting hurts!

Situational awareness and avoidance is no doubt the most important advice, but if avoidance was guarenteed to work, then I wouldn't need to carry.
The Following User Likes This Post: