View Single Post

Old 02-26-2014, 09:23 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

I was gonna type a bunch of stuff, but I'll just say this...

Meet Chuck Sullivan:

He is in his mid 80s. He is the Senior Grandmaster of my school. He's older than anyone in this thread and can still wipe the floor with any two students. So, don't tell me you're too old to learn some empty hand self-defense.

About guns...
"Owning a gun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

That's my favorite quote. It's simple and to the point. If you refuse to get trained in empty hand self-defense, at least seek training in how to use a gun effectively.

Shooting is a perishable skill. Sorry, but shooting 100 rounds, slow fire, from the ready, at your range, twice a year, in 70° weather does not prepare you to defend yourself with a gun.

Answer these questions for yourself:
If someone grabs your wrist, can you get free?
If you are bear hugged from behind, can you get free?
What are the two most effective strikes for self defense? Hint: anyone can do them.
Can you shoot two shots, on target, at 7 yards, starting from the holster, in under 2.4 seconds?
Can you clear a type II malfunction, and shoot a follow up shot, in under 3 seconds?

I'm 47 years old. I hold a second degree black belt in Chinese Kenpo (you can verify that here: IKCA Family Tree Page 2) I have not trained martial arts since I broke my right femur last June, but I can do all those things listed above. You can too. You just have to decide that you want to.

ProgressiveTruth mentioned being disabled. This past year being on crutches has opened my eyes a lot to a disabled person's plight. Obviously there are different levels of disability, but many simply cannot physically resist. This is an area I'm working on. I don't have a solution yet, but I intend to address this. I want to develop something that a disabled person can do to defend themselves.