View Single Post

Old 02-27-2014, 10:16 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 670 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
I think we are comparing apples and oranges here. The way I read the OP he’s not talking about some random street fight he’s talking about being prepared for a surprise attack as in a mugging.

I haven’t been in an argument that escalated to a fight since I left the Army. If I'm practicing situational awareness I should see any situation such as an argument that might result in some unknown person punching me developing and avoid it.

It’s been my experience (notwithstanding the knock out game) that people don’t just walk up to someone on the street out of the blue and punch them unless they are attacking.

One of the key components of both my martial arts training and my firearms training has been avoidance and de-escalation if at all possible.

If I’m walking around with a gun I can’t afford to get into some random pissing contest with a stranger over some perceived slight, I have to be willing to be the one to back down every time. If a guy wants to yell at me for cutting him off in traffic I apologize and take the blame even if I was parked when he said it happened.

If I follow that course I shouldn’t have to worry about someone walking up to me and popping me in the eye.
I think we're on the same page here. I no doubt misunderstood your comment, which is easy to do on the net when you have nothing but the words in front of you to determine intent. My theoretical situation was just a way of saying when you are carrying a gun, the responsibility that goes with that means that you may have to let some things slide without reacting with violence in order to do your best to deescalate the situation. The gun is for when there is no other option.
S&WCA #2620