View Single Post

Old 02-27-2014, 02:31 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 670 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDWYO View Post
Wearing my Like button out. Thanks for all the thoughtful comments and advice. This is just what I was looking for.
It's a good topic. Thanks for bringing it up. The beauty of defending myself with a handgun is I love shooting, so I go to the range regularly and practice. I don't have to force myself to do what I love to do. Shooting is what I do for pleasure.

A gun has the potential to protect someone who can't protect themselves hand to hand. However, I LOVED Aikido, and if you have the interest and the drive, martial arts are great and can be very useful, even as you get older. When I was younger, I took a train for a half hour each direction eight times a week for the classes. Without the interest or ability to keep up the practice, it's easy for your hand to hand skills to fail you when you need them. It's easy for your shooting skills to as well. They both require a lot of effort and dedication, but for an older person or someone with a physical issue, I think your chances are a whole lot better with the gun. I no longer have the drive to reacquire martial arts skills and keep them tuned up. I wish I did. It can be a lot of fun!
S&WCA #2620