View Single Post

Old 02-28-2014, 09:41 AM

Liked 20,090 Times in 5,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protected One View Post

Personally, I think some are placing too much confidence in their ability to see every possible threat because they are so "situationally aware". Even the best are sometimes distracted and find themselves in an undesirable spot.

There is a gentleman in california who owns a company that trains security people (executive protection types - not Walmart Security) & trains martial arts TEACHERS in tactics. Needless to say, he holds black belts in 5 or 6 arts and is a firearms instructor.
One day, while at an ATM, he found himself facing three thugs (one armed with a baton) who wanted to rob him. By the time the police arrived all three were on the deck, writhing in pain with no "visible" injuries. It took the police a few second to realize that HE was the victim.
The point being that if your plan is to use your "situational awareness" to avoid all threats - you need a new plan!
I'm not saying you have to become like my friend, but everyone should know a technique or two for close quarter encounters. You may need it in order to even get to your gun.
No doubt. I'm glad I never said that situational awareness alone will keep you safe. I've never met anyone who thought they were, either.
A combination of everything you know and being able to stay teachable (61 and still going to new exercises in defense and executive protection), physical mobility/flexibility
will certainly come with martial art training, yoga-- but since this is a Smith&Wesson forum, a fair percentage of the members are handgunners. So avoiding having to use it in defense is important. (Situational awareness)
Being able to reach it in close quarters is important. (Physical fitness&mobility)
Being able to stop a threat by using it is important.(hitting the target)

Like I said in my first contribution to this thread: "It can't hurt."

But since I've seen him mentioned in previous posts, I'll quote Rory Miller: " the idea that you will fight like you train is B.S."

Anyone who attends his classes or exercises directed by him will understand what he means.

I also carry garlic to repel vampires.(down on the border, you can't be too careful, ya know)
Stay safe out there and be lucky.

Last edited by Old TexMex; 02-28-2014 at 10:32 AM.