View Single Post

Old 02-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Liked 20,090 Times in 5,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtLumpy View Post
Two observations -

- I've seen the aftermath of hundreds of hand to hand encounters. Not one of them was a "Let's trade punches like gentlemen till one of us cries uncle". It's been no holds barred, no rules, kick him in the goodies, claw his eyes out, try and kill him. In some cases the "kill him" part was a success.

- Bad guys train more than any cop, more than any martial arts devotee, more than anybody. AND bad guys are not encumbered by a legal/ethical constraint. They don't have to worry about using excessive force, who initiates what, stand your ground or anything else. They are driven simply by the desire and need to overwhelm, incapacitate and prevail. They don't care how much you're injured or if you survive. It's probably simpler for them if you DON'T survive.

Sgt Lumpy
Exacto.
I get your point, but doubt that you've never seen two guys fight over whatever and neither intending to kill. Happens in bars and frat party parking lots all the time. Weddings, funerals and bar mitzvahs. Monkey fights, beatdowns by gangs on gang members and drunk tank brawls.
Interesting that a lot of the participants in these things were lightly trained in some dojo, or watched a lot of MMA on TV.
...but I guess that isn't what the OP is asking about.

Last edited by Old TexMex; 02-28-2014 at 10:55 AM.