View Single Post

Old 02-28-2014, 02:42 PM

Liked 4,624 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
I don't know who Rory Miller is, but he is wrong on this point unless there's some aspect not being explained. Allow me to give an example:

I've learned, and teach, a gun take away technique. The police instructor who taught me, told us this story. One day an off duty cop was in a convenient store when an armed robber came in. The cop used this technique to take the gun away, THEN HANDED IT BACK TO THE BAD GUY. Yep, he did exactly what he did in training. You see, as they practiced, they would take the practice gun away and then hand it back so they could do it again. So, he did exactly that in real life. The cop managed to get it away from the bad guy again (effective technique), but got shot the second time. He lived.

The point is, whatever you practice at home, in the studio or at the range, is what you will do on the street. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. The idea is to ingrain the motions so they will be automatic; not the technique, the motion. Whether it's an escape, a knee to the groin, a punch to the throat or whatever move, it's important to train and practice it correctly.

Again, I don't know Mr. Miller, but you will react the same way you practice.
You might want to read a little of why he says what he says before you pronounce him as "wrong".
The Following User Likes This Post: