View Single Post

Old 02-28-2014, 03:21 PM

Liked 20,090 Times in 5,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
I think I know what you are driving at but would you care to elaborate?
Basically it's about mental condition to avoid hesitation or freeze.
It happens in combat to trained soldiers, it happens to LEO, even though they are specifically trained to be in dangerous situations.

Experience in real deadly dangerous(not controlled "studio/ dojo/gym) fluid situations are where people who have "been there" are generally less likely to hesitate or to hesitate for shorter periods, before applying what they have been trained to do.
We must analyze our muscle movement prior to execution, of course (shoot/no shoot situation) but "freezing" is a different thing.

The OP was asking as an individual who isn't a LEO, or an active soldier or (assumption here) combat veteran. Too many are lulled into thinking they'll automatically go to a joint lock or perform a block, but when real fear and adrenaline happens, they freeze. They were trained to pull their punch, they were trained to "not really" gouge an eye, because "we" just don't behave like that.

That's all, it's not meant as an indictment of training, by any means. And I'm betting you knew what I was talking about.
Thanks for asking.