View Single Post

Old 03-01-2014, 11:01 AM
US Veteran

Liked 17,123 Times in 5,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDWYO View Post
You guys are all hitting all around my OP questions. I'd say we'd all agree it can't hurt to get some self defense training besides with your gun (and in fact this has motivated me to look into some locally...hope I choose a good instructor!) But the bottom line is always that you cannot prepare for EVERYTHING. Situational awareness and avoidance is the first step, but it cannot be relied upon exclusively or we would not need to carry or train at all.

Despite what we may all say on internet forums or with buddies, the reality is it is very hard for anyone, especially those of us with no real world training or experience with violence (ie not LEO or military) to know exactly how we will respond when that switch is flipped and we are suddenly and unexectedly called upon to respond violently.

I'm all for having as many tools at my disposal as possible.

I guess one of these days I'll be looking for a course entitled "Defending Yourself with your Walker".
You are correct. No matter how hard we try we cannot prepare for everything. But we can elevate our situational awareness. We can be flexible so that we can at least react in a manner that allows us to protect ourselves. If we appear as sheep then we will be treated as such. How we carry ourselves, the look on our face, our body language is important. If we appear weak and defeated then we will become victims.

The only sure way to react appropriately each and every time is to get quality training and practice. This doesn't mean that you need to become a black belt. And in my experience belts are awarded to soon causing people to think they can handle any situation. And many instructors can't or don't instruct people how to incorporate the use of a firearm in their self defense training. So such training may be hard to find.

Instructors such as Mike Janich, Kelly McCann, Masaad Ayoob, Dave Spaulding and several others are the premier instructors in close quarters combat with or without a gun and or knife. But such training can be expensive.

Thinking ahead can help too. When you approach a door, a building, round a corner, walk to your car etc...... Think ahead. What would I do if a bad guy step out? Is my gun hand free? Can I hit him with whatever I may be carrying? Can I position the grocery cart between him and me?

This is what I call "flexible thinking". Instead of "what if" scenarios and trying to prepare for everything, be flexible and think flexible. Consider your surroundings and prepare yourself. Hope that makes sense.