Thread: 5906 Rear sight
View Single Post

Old 03-03-2014, 11:37 PM

Liked 592 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner1826 View Post
I am looking at buying a 5906 that has the adjustable rear sight with wings. I am wondering if the rear sight can be changed for one with lower profile. From what I can tell looking at pics it is a proprietary mount that is milled into the slide.
Stoner1826

As I have stated elsewhere on this Site, I haven’t been contributing much here in past months but recently I have included a few things and tonight, stumbling across this thread, I thought that I would tell you that when Millett Sights was still making Iron Sights for Handguns, they made a replacement for the Adjustable Unit seen on the 5906.

If I get a chance in the next few days, I’ll see if I can dig up an old photo of this model installed on an Adjustable Sight S&W 4506 so you can get the idea.

For reasons of liability that I have spelled out before, I don’t like to post to links that take you off this Forum (links can be diverted, pages can change over time, websites can be corrupted, etc.) but if you go online yourself you should be able to find an old pdf of that part of the Millett Line still floating around from the 1980's or 90's (I just checked; it's still there) and I wouldn’t be surprised if both images and actual units for sale can be found somewhere as well.

In the meantime, just be aware that they did exist and were an interesting and certainly less bulky alternative to the winged factory sight in their day.

Also be aware that if you do find it suitable for your purposes, I believe that for this version (Millett made sights for all kinds of guns), the front sight will need to be changed out at the same time. But even with that, it’s still something to consider.

I’ll see if I can find that pic…
The Following User Likes This Post: