View Single Post

Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 PM

Liked 831 Times in 390 Posts

The Mauser HSc was my very first "real" handgun.

They had one in the glass case at the corner hardware store in my hometown.
An Interarms model.
I can't now remember the price.

It took lots of pestering of my Dad to buy it.
I had a delivery job (and no expenses) at the time, so I had the cash for it, but not the years on my ID.

Yes, it did dish out "slide-bite" if you were at all careless about your grip.
Ammo was expensive enough that I rarely fired it.
I can't say the gun was inaccurate, but I can say I fired it inaccurately.

One day, me and dad were out just "riding around" some country roads in his '66 Thunderbird - a car that I was unable to properly appreciate at the time. We stopped at some dusty pull-off by the side of the road to take a leak. While I was in mid-leak, I spotted a cottontail rabbit ambling along. About the time I zipped up, the rabbit decided to stand still for me. I grabbed the HSc out of the T-Bird, with rabbit-icide on my mind.

I fired the first shot.

...and then the second shot.

...and then the rest of the magazine.

That confounded rabbit couldn't have been ten yards away!

Dumbest rabbit I ever saw.
Just sat there chewing on a weed while I landed .380 bullets in several different zip codes around him.
I had extra ammo with me, and I considered reloading the magazine for a second volley at Mr. Hasenpheffer.
But, by then my ears were ringing something awful, and Dad was giving that same look he had been giving me when I was begging him to buy the gun for me.
I just stuck the gun back in the car, and took it home and put it back in its factory Styrofoam box and paper sleeve.
I don't think I ever shot that gun again.

Not too long after that, I pestered Dad some more, and got him to help me give it in trade for a Security-Six. For some reason, I just couldn't get my mind wrapped around ear protection back then. If the HSc was loud, the Security-Six was positively ATOMIC. I didn't shoot that one much either. I ended up giving the Ruger in trade for a Remington 788 in 6mm Rem. That gun languished for years too. I eventually gave the 788 in trade for a stainless Browning A-Bolt, which I still have to this day.

So, in a way, I still have that old HSc.