Thread: CCW with no LTC
View Single Post

Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 AM

Liked 3,535 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc1 View Post
It depends on the state. Here in Michigan We are responsible to Always have our CPL when carrying concealed:

Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

Responsibilities of Individuals With a Concealed Pistol License:
An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.
Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:
First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CPL license suspension.
Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CPL license revocation.
An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall have the license in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.
Failure to possess CPL license when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and a $100.00 fine.
Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a police officer:
His or her license to carry a concealed pistol
His or her driver license or personal identification card
Failure to show CPL license and Michigan driver license or Michigan personal identification card when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and $100.00 fine.
A pistol carried in violation of numbers 1, 2, or 3 is subject to immediate seizure by a police officer.
If a pistol is seized for failure to possess a CPL while carrying a concealed pistol:
Individual has 45 days in which to display their license to carry a concealed pistol to the law enforcement agency that seized the pistol and the pistol shall be returned.
If the individual does not display their license to carry a concealed pistol within 45 days the pistol is subject to forfeiture.

It is important to know the laws in your state and also in states you may travel to.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I've also found out that it can be beneficial to notify the officer that you have a permit but are not carrying. My son-in-law and I have both been pulled over at different times and notified the officer that we had a permit, but no gun. We were both thanked for doing so and let go without a ticket.