Thread: CCW with no LTC
View Single Post

Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 PM

Liked 13,112 Times in 4,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug M. View Post
Depending on the state's laws, presenting the license later would be at best an affirmative defense. Here in Washington, for example, it becomes a civil infraction (like a fine only traffic ticket), BUT ONLY LATER. You can be arrested, booked, held to see a judge, have to post bond, etc, and then go to court. Your firearm would be held, etc, and in the People's Republic of the I5 Corridor at least, getting it returned in a timely manner would be an unholy pain the backside. The penalty in time lost, money expended, and embarrassment from the record of arrest and booking and all the other crud would be staggering. Your car would be towed - which is a ton of bucks. If I am traveling with my dog, he is at extreme risk because he is big and hates strangers. There are all kinds of bad things that can happen, and they are solely under your control and solely your fault if they do.

Unless you have been through that, or put others through it for legally appropriate reasons (as I have in both LE and prosecution, although not for a firearm offense of this nature), you have NO IDEA what you are risking by the irresponsible act involved. In some states, the reaction could be even worse because of the likely administrative responses to the event.

Carrying a firearm is serious business, and the standards that have to apply are high. If you are not responsible enough to ensure that you are always in compliance with the legal mandates that go with carrying, you have two choices: don't carry, or un(screw) yourself.
^^^^^^^^^
What Doug said!!

All he forgot to mention is the thousands of dollars you will give your new best friend : your attorney.