View Single Post

Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 AM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerpat View Post
I use a .45-70 partially for nostalgia, it's been around for over 130 years
So you became a Ranger due to math challenges? Hmmmm, lets see, 1873 (Springfield) to 2014 = 141? Ok, I guess 141 is over 130. I would agree that its fun to shoot, except with 500 grain bullets and a steel butt plate to absorb the recoil. If you're so inclined, you can even find some spectacular Winchesters in the caliber.

And they even used the caliber for long range match shooting. Consider the 1000 yard shots. At the gravel pit we used to shoot at, there was an old Buick planted half in the sand. We paced it off as best we could and then opened fire. I had a Springfield, but it was the modernistical version (1884) with slightly improved sights. I discovered that by aiming at the base of the tree falling over the embankment above it, I could get a satisfying thunk more often than not. But even that ole punkin' ball traveling that far never managed to "hole" the metal. Guess they made Buicks better back then than today.

Not much experience with marlins. A babe I went to school with (Jeanie Marie Franklin, funny how I remember that) had a sister. The sister drove a Marlin. It broke down a lot. Her sister cried a bunch, too. Usually because the car stopped and stranded her. She was lucky her big sister had a lot of friends who'd rescue her. I've read the new guns named Marlins aren't worth a hoot either. Guess with either caliber you're much better off buying old. I'd think there are a lot more Winchesters, or Brownings using the same design. Might be regional. I sure regret selling the short barrel 1886 I had.