View Single Post

Old 03-21-2014, 12:53 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,547 Times in 1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysq View Post
Great news for Georgia! When is the effective date? Living in the mountains of NC, we visit GA quite often and I do carry there.
It takes effect July 1 if Governor Deal signs it which he says on his reelection website that he will do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlevel View Post
I have absolutely no problem with the "opt in" feature of allowing carry in churches. I believe the membership of a church should have the ability to either allow or to not allow carry in the place of worship. I'm sure my particular Baptist Church will "opt in."

I personally believe the "anti-Katrina" portion of the law might be the most important part. Meaning that the state can't disarm citizens in a declared emergency.

Another positive sign is that NRA and the state organization, Georgia Carry.Org (GCO) worked together to get the bill passed. This hasn't always been the case. There was tremendous pressure exerted on lawmakers by outside interests, including a visit to the Capitol by Gabby and Mark Giffords, calling the law "the worst gun bill in history," or some such nonsense.
I agree about the anti-Katrina portion being the most important.

I don't know about my church though. Out of five people who will vote on it, two for sure would vote to opt-in (one is my wife). Two I don't know about and one I'm sure would vote against it.

Don't forget all the money Bloomberg spent lobbying against it also. Don't you just love it when a billionaire finds out there are some things he can't buy.

CW