Thread: Frog Lube
View Single Post

Old 03-23-2014, 01:50 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,743 Times in 2,626 Posts

For the life of me, I just do not understand what is so wrong with Hoppes No. 9 solvent and Break Free CLP. They are long proven, don't gum up actions, and these new "miracle" potions do not save any time or effort in the cleaning process.

I learned my lesson with WD-40 back in the 70s, when it had become a popular solution for LE armories who had begun using it as both a cleaner and a lubricant. The Missouri State Highway Patrol had an incident where a trooper, lucky to be alive, attempted to shoot a suspect and his Model 66 went "click" instead of "bang."

Test results showed the WD-40 had gummed up the action, thereby "cushioning" the fall of the hammer enough to prevent ignition of the primer. MSHP put an article in its little newsletter/journal instructing all personnel to cease use of WD-40. I went to check my revolvers, and sure enough - it took a considerable effort to clean out the gummed up mess.

I went back to ordinary Hoppes No. 9 and the old can of "real" gun oil (you remember when it came in those little rectangular cans with the little red swivel applicator on top and the can made that little clicking/slurping noise when you squeezed it, don't you?).

I was so alarmed by that experience that I waited 10 years after Break Free was adopted by the military before giving it a try, and only did it then after making sure there had been no complaints of gumming up the actions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun oil - Outers vintage can.jpg (4.3 KB, 242 views)
The Following 2 Users Like Post: