View Single Post

Old 03-27-2014, 09:34 AM
US Veteran

Liked 4,461 Times in 2,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
The slide occurred less than 4 miles East of Oso, WA, directly above Steelhead Drive. This is about 14 miles East of Arlington and 12 miles West of Darrington. One of my pet peeves is the habit of the media calling out a location "near" an event instead of describing the actual location.

If you use Google Earth the exact location is: 48°17'4.56"N - 121°50'52.12"W Simply paste these coordinates into the search field and Google Earth will take you directly to the site. The damaged area is directly across the river.
Exactly.

The news media has not discovered GPS and Goggle Earth. I heard one report that said the town of Oso, WA. was destroyed. Most accounts of disasters only give the location of the nearest town and in some cases not even that. If you know people who live in the area it would be helpful for the media to give the coordinates of the disaster so people would know exactly where it was. My cell phone will give me coordinates in about a minute. All the media has to do is request coordinates from emergency management dispatchers but they don't even know enough to do that.