View Single Post

Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburg View Post
I just got home from taking my wife to Longhorn Steakhouse. The steak was good but my stomach is about to burst. Is this thread drift? Would it be if I'd taken a young hottie to supper? How dangerous would that have been!
Yes, it's thread drift, to an extreme degree.

The young hottie might be sweet and fun, or she might be a nasty golddigger or con woman. Or, she might be like Modesty Blaise in Peter O'Donnell's novels and the comic strip based on them, read in some 57 countries when it ran. If Modesty was your friend, you'd be well protected. If you were a villain, your life expectancy would probably be limited. (Yes, she used a S&W on occasion, a Model 57. Usually carried an unstated model of Colt .32 that I think was probably a Cobra or Courier or Pocket Postive or in later books, a Star PD .45.)

Are you married? If so, the young hottie had probably better be your granddaughter! I have that advantage, and she wants to be an actress. So you guys may get to see her, too.

As for the list, I don't think much of it, especially if "North America" includes jaguar.

I don't see wolves as major game, although they can be dangerous. Elk and the mountain sheep and goats are difficult to hunt and require long journeys for most hunters. A hunter needs to be in top condition.

I'd certainly include cougars/pumas/mountain lions and contrary to what this show reportedly said, they now DO often interract with people. Attacks are on the increase.

Alligators can be very dangerous. Where do we list American crocodiles, which are not lmited to S. Florida? Burmese pythons, where they live in Florida.

Black bears are usually shy, but those in a predatory mood are known man-eaters. One had a cache of 7-8 adult male human victims. It was killed by an angler who stabbed it as it attacked him while wading.

America has no true buffalo. The American bison can be dangerous, but is usually an easy target.

I agree that moose are very dangerous. One stomped a Volkswagen when I lived in Newfoundland.

Last edited by Texas Star; 03-31-2014 at 09:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: