View Single Post

Old 04-02-2014, 05:16 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
lets not forget jaguars
Well, I did briefly note them, and another man did. I'd have said more, but in most of N. America, they are fairly uncommon, esp. in the USA. I suspect that most here stray across the border.(Mexico is geographically in North America.)

In some countries, they're endangered, but in others, no one really knows how many are left. If we can include all of the Americas, Brazil now prohibits most hunting. Costa Rica protects jaguars, as do some others, I believe.

But I haven't forgotten jaguars since a mounted one in the Ft. Worth natural history museum scared me when I was a kid. I'd seen deer heads on walls, but never a full mount of a big cat. I read the books about Bomba, the Jungle Boy, and he dealt with jaguars.

And I've got, "Tigrero!", by Sasha Siemel. Read Capstick and others on jaguar hunting.

But I think it is now illegal to import a jaguar hide or skull? Laws re the spotted cats are pretty strict. I think the problem is with the fur trade, not with licensed sport hunters in moderation. The Dallas Museum of Natural History has some cats now rare or living in areas where politics prohibit hunting. Most were taken by the late Herb Klein, whose Weatherby and other guns have been displayed there. I was allowed to handle and photograph them some years ago. They're quite ornate. I can't post photos, as mine were lost during a move, and it was long before I had a computer and before digital photography. But ask, if there. They may still have them, and might allow viewing on request. I treasure a visit to Klein in his office during the time I was on leave from the USAF. He was very cordial and showed me many photos of his safaris and I saw some mounted animals in the office. He owned a lot of Weatherby stock at one time.

I do think the jaguar is a fitting animal for the survey, but legal hunting of it is rare, if permitted at all. I wouldn't want to meet one on a dark jungle trail. Some that Siemel speared or shot in the Matto Grosso ran about 400 pounds. They're the third largest cat, after the tiger and lion.

My desktop image is of a jaguar on a log over water, watching for fish. I initially thought that he was drinking, but the body language suggests fishing. They do a lot of that, and will eat jacare (caimans) and turtles.

Thanks for noting this impressive cat.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: