View Single Post

Old 04-11-2014, 06:41 AM

Liked 25,735 Times in 8,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
Enormous difference in velocity is likely. My 3" 65-5 throws 158-gr .38 Special +P factory loads at just under 900 fps. It throws 158-gr .357 Magnum factory loads at around 1200 fps. Handloading can increase both numbers, but the proportion remains about the same.

Now, ask yourself this: what difference does that additional velocity make in a defensive shooting of an aggressor? Maybe not so much. Further, what additional overpenetration dangers are associated with that additional velocity? How much quicker is my follow-up shot with the slower load than with the faster one?

Lots to consider, frankly. I love my .38 Specials, but - all things being equal - I'd rather they were all chambered in .357 Magnum just for the additional versatility that chambering possesses. Which round is better for your purposes depends on what you're doing. When I hike up Bear Canyon with my 65-5, I stoke it with 180-gr hardcast handloads that do 1230 fps from the gun. When I carry it in town, there's no way I'm carrying those . . . .
Erich,

Your results with ammo from "The Big 3 ammo Co's" is spot-on with my testings, and that's why I have upgraded my ammo selections.

I've tested Buffalo Bore 158 gr. HEAVY 38 Special +P's out of my 3" M65 and have consistently gotten velocities of 1140 - 1150 fps. A 158 gr. .357 from the same gun will produce velocities of 1180 - 1190 or so like you state with a large muzzle flash, more violent recoil and lots of noise but the actual ballistics are quite similar from these two different cartridges.

Now just to clarify, I was using .357 Mag's from either Winchester, Remington or Federal, against Buffalo Bore .38's. Now BB makes really hot .357's and I have tested a few of those and while their recoil is pretty stiff, theirs does give a larger velocity difference.

When in Black Bear Country I do carry my M65 stoked with BB 180 grain hard cast SWC solid .357 Mag.s that produce around 1300 fps - which is quite a serious load from a 3" tube and a 180 grain bullet. If I were purposely setting out to hunt Bear with a Handgun, I would definitely take a 44 Magnum or better, but my M65 is light enough and convenient enough to carry that it is always with me while in the woods.

It is of my personal opinion that if carrying MOST BRANDS of.357 Magnums they offer little real advantage until you go over a 4" barreled gun, unless of course you are using the BB's or hand loads. I do believe that the .357 Mag. comes into its own with a 5" - 6" tube and for defensive purposed against two legged animals the BB 38 Special's or Speer GD's are about the best one can get considering ALL ASPECTS.

From what I have seen using my Chronograph, the "Big 3 ammo Co's" have watered down the modern day .357's too. The only way to get the velocities equivalent to the older Mag's is to hand load or use something like BB ammo.

You should (if you have not already) try a box of the BB 180 grain Hard Cast HEAVY .357's from your M65 which you might like for walking in the woods. I know sometimes my posts sound like an advertisement for Buffalo Bore and I am in NO WAY affiliated with them, I am just thrilled that at least this Company actually ships ammo that does exactly what they say it will and that's a first according to my actual Chronograph tests.

Regards,
chief38

Last edited by chief38; 04-11-2014 at 06:50 AM.