View Single Post

Old 04-14-2014, 01:48 PM
US Veteran

Liked 23,711 Times in 6,171 Posts

If I may I'd like to expand on some of Wuzz Fuzz's observations. (He said we could so I hope this ain't a hijack) But first, I agree that the print should be large enough for EVERYTHING on the label (even the stuff they don't want you to know but are required to put on it) that people over the age of 30 can read it without magnification. GRRRRRR. That's is one of my hot buttons. Especially for perishable items like milk. The print on the milk containers is small and (intentional or not) often the ink is blurry and illegible.

And wouldn't you like to get your hands around the throat of the idiot that thought it was a good idea to put these little stickers on every single piece of fruit in the store?!? I don't mind it on things like bananas or melons because I don't eat the rind/peel. But on tomatoes or peaches or plums it is just ignorant! They put 'em on GOOD to so that you can't get them off without tearing the skin of the fruit. GRRRRRRR.

And finally, have you ever noticed that you have to choose between 10 or 15 different flavors or varieties of a lot of the food products that originally only came in one flavor?

Doritos, for example, now come in about 8 different flavors maybe more, I haven't been to the store today. I think it was in the early '70's when Doritos came out. I LOVED 'EM!! They got very popular very quickly. This is because they were good and lots of people liked 'em.

Now the producers of them want, like all other producers of food products, to be all things to all people, they have to try to have a flavor to suit every taste. And the irony of this is that now a lot of places don't even carry the original Doritos anymore. GRRRRRRR. I now have to pic through all the fad flavors of the day and STILL can't get the ones that make Doritos so popular to begin with.

I just happened to encounter a young Frito-Lay guy putting them in the shelves one day and read him the riot act. I told him that even though he was not even born yet when they came out he needed to be aware that the REASON they were so popular was because of the taste of the ORIGINAL flavor and now you don't even put them on the shelf?!?!?!

I could read his mind. Just another grouchy old goat that hates change. Well, maybe he got it right but still...............

One more example if I may. All this has been eatin' on me for along time now and I've needed to get it off my chest. Please bear with me I'm almost done.

Stewed tomatoes

I cook with Stewed tomatoes a lot. But now I have to be very careful because of all the different ways they are canned. You have Diced, diced in sauce, petite diced, steamed, no salt added,sun dried, w/onions, w/jalapenos, w/onions and jalapenos. w/basil and garlic, w/jalapenos and cilantro, and so on and so forth. Grrrrrr. Just let me have a doggone can of tomatoes I'll put what I want in them when I use them, for cryin' out loud!!

And I'm not even going to get into Coke and other soft drinks. I expect you all see my point by now.

Anyway thanks for letting me get this out here. I feel all better now.