View Single Post

Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 PM

Liked 733 Times in 266 Posts

Most processed foods have had the nutritious part removed already. Look at V8 juice -- there's nothing left -- just the color and the water. Virtually no vitamins, proteins or good stuff. Meats are even worse. Trust me, you don't even want to know what's in a corn dog.

Just because the label says it contains beef, chicken, pork or mystery meat, that label doesn't really tell you what you're eating. It could be the hooves or hide for all you know. There have been many news items for "pink slime" in the news recently. Hot dogs are not what you think they are -- even the good expensive ones.

I want an expiration date I can read. Not white ink on white paper or glass. Put it where it can be read by a normal person. None of those cryptic codes either. I don't want to waste my time trying to decipher letters into months and add 3 years to the canning date and ..... Tell me when it expires -- preferably on the top of the bottle, jar or box.

Low sodium is good and I'm now seeing everything from ketsup to ice cream informing us that it doesn't contain the killer High Fructose Corn Syrup. We don't buy it if that's in it. It is probably the number one cause of diabetes.

Now, if we could just get the FDA to quit listening to Monsanto and start listening to the buying public, we would find out if the contents are Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO). Everything from soy to salmon, corn to apples are becoming GMO. You can't buy chocolate in America today that doesn't contain GMO soy. GMO is everywhere. The scary thing is that the companies making it are the ones doing safety testing. If a third party identifies a danger or threat, these Big Ag companies buy the organization and silence the report.

I don't trust anything that comes out of a grocery store today. Nothing! We now grow and can much of what we eat. From wild turkey to beets, we know where our food comes from, what's in it, how it was prepared and when. We buy our own beef on the hoof and just like our game meats, it isn't grain fed -- it is properly aged. Deer, elk, antelope don't eat corn for a week and neither does our beef. All natural grass fed on open range. You have to age it properly but our guests never complain about the quality -- they usually ask where we bought it! So the cellar is full of canned veggies and meats as is the chest freezer which is full to the top and our grocery bill is less than $75 a month for the two of us. We eat well -- almost too good!

I agree with the OP in that we also need good product labeling. While we are buying less and less in stores and growing or raising more of our own, we still need to buy some items.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beef.jpg (70.2 KB, 24 views)
The Following 2 Users Like Post: