View Single Post

Old 05-11-2014, 07:29 PM

Liked 61 Times in 29 Posts

Finally went to my friend's private range and brought along a Model 69 L frame 44 magnum. Three others also tried it out. Of course with 44 special 200 grain factory all found it pleasant shooting. At 15 yds. 2-3 rounds would typically touch. At 25 yds one shooter pulled 2 inch groups consistently. Then moved to 240 grain factory soft pint Remington and with the right grip, stance it was fine. We went through two boxes shooting multiple targets in called order.
Buffalo Bore 255 grain hard cast of fifty rounds and no hiccups and vey manageable by three of us but one found it more than she liked so she is staying with the 240 grain loads as her standard 44 magnum outdoor carry. Agree with her view it is better to hit well with what you carry.
I used the 255 grain for a moose and it did fine but it was close while I was still in camp. Not really a hunt as much as a shoot of opportunity.

Last was a box of Federal Premium 300 grain cast core. For three of us doable for hits and repeats but also we were fine with just shooting the twenty round box. Overall this may become my favorite carry 44 revolver. With a Blade Tech Razor IWB holster easy carry quick and surprised to find the 4.25 inch barrel works well in this manner.

We ended with shooting off a grab bag of odds and ends with the model 69. I am pretty certain anything not solved with five well placed rounds will unlikely be solved with one more so that does not worry me. My Night Guard I am not as accurate with and I finally have a S&W 44 magnum that fits my hands. I do think the excellent shape and cushioning of the grip makes a big difference.

My hunting round is a 45-70 in a custom Marlin lever. The Model 69 is an Alaska defensive tool when required... and fine for me.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: