View Single Post

Old 05-17-2014, 11:48 PM

Liked 418 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
I understand the Texas Department of Public Safety had 158gr jacketed bullets loaded over 12gr 2400 in .38spl cases in the old days. The issue weapon was the M-28, probably didn't worry too much about pressure.
Dixie,
Unless they carried that load in the '50's, which I'd be unaware of, the load that the Texas Highway Patrol carried for decades was the Federal 125 grain SJHP screaming around 1500 fps and thumping an impressive 590 ft/lbs of 'boom' on the bad guy's side of the brouhaha.

They carried this until they switched over to Sig Sauer DA/SA pistols in 1991, specifically the P220 and P226, which were loaded with ****** Ranger SXT JHP's (Black Talon by any other name) in 230 gr for the .45 ACP and 147 gr. for the 9mm, respectively.

Both of these were quite wisely dropped like a muffin with a booger on it, around about 1997 or so. That's when they went to one weapon, the DA/SA Sig P226 in 357Sig loaded with CCI Lawman 125 gr, which they still carry today, because it is very, very effective. I believe it was around 2004 or 2005 that they slipped over to the same gun/round, except it was the Sig DAK in P226.

Not sure if the whole debacle with the Smith & Wesson M&P's in 9mm is going to stick or not, apparently they fell apart like Tinker Toys during range work and are on hiatus. Sadly, if they come back, the plan was to load them with 147 gr 9mm JHP's, which didn't work for **** before, so not sure why they're returning to a bad idea that was wisely ditched over 15 years ago.

Anyway, long response to your question, but no, I don't think they ever issued a .38 load for their S&W 28 Highway Patrolman wheelguns.

However, I will endeavor to find out...