View Single Post

Old 05-20-2014, 01:09 AM

Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbolt View Post
...At one point he said something that echoed what another person from that agency was once quoted to have said, which is that the standard 180gr JHP .40 that had been in-service since about '90 had actually acquired a better track record of street effectiveness in stopping threats than even the 125gr Magnum load had done for them in previous times...

First, I believe that you were indeed told that. Secondly, I have a hard time swallowing that entirely . However, as you added that factoring in of better training today coupled with a semi-auto .40 S&W being easier to shoot well than a DA revolver with hot 125 gr. Magnums, makes it more palatable. As well, it is not a direct "apples to oranges" comparison as we all know the semi-auto holds more ctgs.

My personal belief is that the .40 S&W, especially with the hot 155 gr. JHP's as loaded by Rem. especially for the BP, is devastating. The 180 gr. bullet was never intended for the .40 S&W but was transitioned into service by the penetration junkies from the 10mm. As well, the 180 gr. is a cream puff load to shoot for today's younger shooters who have a great deal of difficulty shooting real "barn burners" as most are not really gun people per se.

In conclusion, I think the .357 SIG is the best of both Worlds as you get .357 Mag. 125 gr. performance in an easier to manage semi-auto. It's a Helluva ctg.