View Single Post

Old 05-20-2014, 03:50 PM

Liked 9,313 Times in 3,723 Posts

1) There is no real performance difference in the modern service handgun calibers (9mm, .40, .45, .357Sig) with quality ammo in either calibrated testing or in actual shootings. Doctor Roberts' materials go into considerable detail on this. There are also indications that the agencies which use the .357Sig have such good performance because they train seriously, more so than others. I am aware of other agencies that train seriously compared to the majority, and they have good success with their ammo. I suspect that the training (physical and mindset) are more important variables than the ammo.

2) The failure of a 9mm Silvertip, which is 3 or more generations removed from modern service ammo, was important then, but is basically a tragic data point in a learning curve now.

3) Wasn't it Dove who lost his glasses and couldn't see well enough to hit anything? (I really don't recall, but one of the agents experienced that.)

4) The FBI standard is 12" minimum, and I think 18" maximum (I have not looked for a while). They are looking at the possibility of shots that have to go through intermediate barriers, from clothing to glass, to the arm of a suspect. They are also considering that most Americans are ... overweight at best. There have been cases of offenders whose body fat was enough to reduce bullet effectiveness. Remember that the purchase rule for equipment is that is has to work adequately well under all conditions.

5) No doubt that FBI training was inadequate. The poor handling of their sidearms (unholster it and drive with it on your lap or whatever? Really?) was an issue. Remember that our understanding now that a pistol is what you carry when you don't expect a specific problem and a long gun (carbine or a slug loaded shotgun) is what you take if you do is in large part developed from that event.

6) Feebies are not cops. Some have been, but many have not. Vehicle stop tactics were not a solid part of their training, and from what I have been able to discern, it is still marginal.

7) They did not have adequate numbers of personnel on scene to deal with motivated offenders, and IIRC, the local PD (Metro-Dade?) was not aware of the event until called by nearby residents because of the shooting. At least car of agents was too far away cuz they had to stop to pee, and they had the "heavier" weapons (mostly MP5s, I think - sexy, not sound).

8) Over-penetration is not often near the problem that missing is.

9) Placement is king; penetration queen. The target area for shooting offenders has not been well taught, and a lot of targets still reinforce improper skill sets.

Side issue: I do not recall the Illinois SP using the Federal 9BPLE +P+ load, but they may have. The round that they used that really started to develop a sound reputation was the Winchester 9mm +P+, first in 115 grain, then in 127 grain as the Ranger line evolved. I have carried both and would without concern.