View Single Post

Old 05-21-2014, 01:42 PM

Liked 999 Times in 306 Posts

18DAI, I was the PFI for years when I was working. I oversaw the transition from CS-1's to the 6906. I never considered any of the guys inadequately trained and we had some very good shooters, but even when the results were minor, you could see inconsistency between that first DA pull, and the follow up single actions. And the one problem I saw was guys forgetting to work the hammer drop (never called it a safety) before holstering. I had one guy who consistently carried with the hammer drop down, so he had to raise it up to engage. He would not break from that habit. (I had a personally owned 457 that Smith retrofitted with a spring in the hammer drop so that it would automatically return to position after dropping the hammer. Wish I had that back!)

We used to shoot bowling pins, and most of the time that first shot would be a miss, and then hits with all of the follow ups. I think the DA/DA trigger just simply lends itself to inconsistency.

Personally, I went from a 1006 to a 1086 when I was carrying the 10. Picture that smooth trigger pull as just rolling your finger through the action. Very nice. And there was never that silly hammer drop to fool with.

Yes, I also had a 3953 for years. For some reason, though, it had a longer trigger pull (probably just my perception) than the 1086, and the only reason I don't still have the 3953 is that an XDS came along. I really like that little pistol.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: