Thread: No. 3 Target
View Single Post

Old 05-23-2014, 12:25 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,880 Times in 3,633 Posts

The objective data presented here is from Smith & Wesson 1857-1945, by Neal & Jinks. Given a serious interest in S&W products from this time period, this book belongs in your library. (!!) The subjective data presented here comes from the vapors.

Is the .44 Russian (target) the most rare of the calibers mentioned? I don't know. If Mike Maher says it is, then it is. There were 35,796 NM #3's produced in all calibers----and those calibers number FOURTEEN----including the .44 Russian. How many of those were configured as target models? I have no idea. These were "people guns"----made to kill people. They were sold to myriad foreign governments/armed services. The percentage configured as target guns is small-----undefined and unknown----at least by me.

The so-called Target models in calibers 32-44 and 38-44 are deemed to be a separate model, but I believe their numbers are included in the total noted above. There were 2,920 produced in 32-44----and 1,413 produced in 38-44. If you want to get picky about it, a smaller (included) number of each were produced with longer cylinders (1 9/16" vs. 1 7/16")----299 32-44's and 390 38-44's-----a big mistake.

I think I'm through----get the book!!

Ralph Tremaine

I decided I'm not through. There's another book---titled The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. There are three editions. You want the third one. I have not thoroughly read the NM #3 material in this book, but one of the authors (Jim Supica) has perhaps the most comprehensive collection of these revolvers in the world. Any and everything he has to say about these guns can be taken as gospel.

I'm still not through! Given yours is a 38-44, you/one of you own what is perhaps the finest store bought target revolver ever made-----and the gun has nothing to do with it. It is well known, and easily documented, that the further a bullet has to travel through the throat/revolver cylinder, the less inherent accuracy is to be had. (Check out the custom .38 Special target revolvers of the 1950's-60's------the cylinders are the same length as a wadcutter cartridge.) The 38-44 cartridge case is the same length as the short cylinder (1 7/16"). The bullet (not a wadcutter incidentally) is seated entirely within the case. When fired, the bullet leaves the case, and is immediately in the barrel------zero throat! And that cartridge was designed not by S&W, but by one of the more savvy shooters of the day----whose name escapes me at the moment. Get some books----look it up!

Last edited by rct269; 05-23-2014 at 02:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: